Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wilton Method - Fondant and Gumpaste

So, I'm done with Wilton courses. I've actually been done for almost a month but I just suck at fitting this blog thing into my schedule. I'm trying to get caught up before I buckle down for the GMAT. Below was my final cake for the Fondant and Gumpaste course. This course consisted mainly of making gumpaste flowers, something I don't think I'll ever do often. Joanna was much better at it than I so, should we ever recognize our dreams of having a bakery, she'll do gumpaste and fondant flowers while I do the buttercream ones.

This was kind of an experimental thing that I didn't spend too much time on as I was making this on a Monday night after work. I wanted to use my Wilton Sportsball pan, which I did for the main part of the skull. However, I used my old standby of the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe, which was a little moist for being shaped into a sphere. For the jaw, which rivals only Bruce Campbell's in size, I used a mini-loaf pan. Once again, I used homemade marshmallow fondant, although I didn't have as much success making it this time. I love the stuff, and it tastes a lot better than the boxed Wilton crap, but it is harder to work with and dries out quickly.



No comments:

Post a Comment