Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Holy crap I love sushi

If there is one thing I really really love it is sushi. I love all Asian food but I love sushi so much it borders on idolatry. I think back to how I never tried this delectable meeting of food and art prior to my teen years and weep for lost time. If you've never tried it, you haven't lived.

While I've tried my hand at making sushi in the past (and likely will again in the future), it is one of those things I tend to leave to the professionals. Here in Pittsburgh, we have a number of places to obtain these little bites of joy, from a stand in Wholey's in the Strip District (which isn't too bad actually), to the joke of pre-prepared yuck that some grocery stores have, to my current favorite place, Sushi Tomo in the North Hills.

If you haven't been to Sushi Tomo, then go. It's on McKnight Rd., three lights off the exit from 279. Tell them I sent you. It won't get you a discount and they'll have no idea who I am, but you'll feel like an insider and we all love a little ego boost, no matter how fleeting. Even if you don't like sushi, they have Japanese food so good that you might briefly consider that it wouldn't have been so bad if Emperor Hirohito would have prevailed in WWII. Here's a few pics of my recent visit to whet your appetite. The quality isn't the greatest as I took these on my phone (the camera battery was dead). There was another plate with a soft shell crab and the Dinosaur roll on it but it mysteriously disappeared before I could pick up my Blackberry to take the picture. I would have asked what happened but my mouth was full. What a strange coincidence...

This is an appetizer I don't even think is on the menu. My roommate Scott eats there enough to have sent Ricky's kids to college so we always get this. It is octopus, shredded seaweed, and julienned cucumber in a really light sauce (maybe rice vinegar?) and with toasted sesame. As I'm not a fan of chewing rubber, I generally eschew octopus but it is delicious in this dish...















This plate survived long enough to have a picture taken. At the top left we have the Pittsburgh Roll, which is smoked salmon, cream cheese, and avocado. This is about as non-Japanese as sushi comes but I'm a Jew. Stuff lox and cream cheese in something and I'm there. Does anyone else hear The Vapors playing? Next to that is my favorite roll, Unagi Maki, otherwise known as eel roll. It contains barbequed eel, avocado, some crazy good eel sauce, and toasted sesame seeds. Let me just say, I love eel. I realize it is incredibly fatty and not good for you at all. Regardless, it is fantastic. Give me a nice piece of eel on a bed of rice and I'll purr like a walrus. I know walruses can't purr. Neither can I. I do love Family Guy though. Last but not least is the Magic Roll. This roll is all that the name promises. It is a spicy tuna roll with avocado and tempura flake on top. Judging by this plate, I'd also say it's a safe bet to say I love avocado. Maybe I'll make you kids homemade guacamole sometime.















What we have here is Joanna's dinner. The beef teriyaki. I know that using chopsticks isn't easy for everyone. There have been times in my life where, with a downcast gaze, I've asked for a fork. That said, this dish makes you want to ask for a straw to slurp up every last bit of sauce. I'm not sure what the etiquette is with regards to such an action but one taste of this sauce and you'll agree with me that Miss Manners can take a one way trip to Gehenna.















I also suggest you try the Fuki Plum Wine with your meal. Your taste buds will thank you. Go forth and eat! L'Chaim!

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMMmmm. The one thing I really miss about EDMC (other than Caroline and a few other friends like you) is bi-weekly walks to Andy's Sushi Bar for lunch.

    I tried my hand at sushi a few months back. It actually turned out pretty good, although I grossly overestimated my proportions and was left with a ginormous Tupperware bin full of sushi that I happily ate for about 5 days!

    ReplyDelete