Monday, June 1, 2009

Zucchini bread...and I use the term loosely.

At the request of my roommate Scott, who's told me about 80 billion times how much he loves zucchini bread, I decided to make some. I have no idea where I put the recipe I usually used as it wasn't in my cookbook (lovingly organized by Joanna) so I turned to the Food Network. I decided to use this Paula Deen recipe: Zucchini Bread. It turned out pretty good except the bread stuck to the pans. If you decide to try it, I highly suggest you ignore her idea of spraying the pans with non-stick spray and instead either line your pans with foil or parchment or grease and flour the hell out of them. Consider yourself warned. Also, I would much more consider this cake rather than bread. You're not gonna be slapping bologna between a couple slices of it. If you are, go to the doctor. You might be pregnant.

The first step was, of course, grating zucchini. I didn't actually make this bread until Sunday but I woke up Saturday morning and thought "Hey, let's grate some zucchini." So I did. I'm impulsive like that. A rebel.
















The next day I went to get out my zucchini. If that looks like a lot, it is. I made a double batch. I had a lot of people to bestow bread upon.














Here we have flour. Nicely measured out into the biggest mixing bowl I have.














The recipe calls for nutmeg but I decided to omit it as Joanna doesn't like it. Instead, I tossed in some ginger to still give it a little spiciness. Hey, I'm nothing if not accommodating.














Good ol' Giant Eagle baking soda. Arise bread, arise!















I love cinnamon. It is probably my favorite spice. If a recipe calls for cinnamon, then it's OK in my book.














Where'd all the flour go? Oh yeah, it's buried under a mound of sugar. That's how you know this is a Paula Deen recipe. There is almost a 1:1 ratio of flour to sugar. This is certainly not something to serve to a diabetic...unless you want to kill them.














Whisking up some eggs and vegetable oil. I almost made an omelette but then I remembered I had bread to bake so I put away the spinach and feta and got back to work. I love eggs too. Noticing a trend?














Mixing the whole mess together.














Still mixing. This was a lot of zucchini bread batter. Goopy too. Somewhere here I tossed in walnuts. I don't see them but I know they were there.














Here we are. Ready to pour into pans. Righto. Pip, pip, cheerio. Sometimes I break into British idioms. It's bloody awful. I'm daft. OK. I'll stop.















I decided to make most of the bread in my mini loaf pan for easy distribution. This was one of the nicer ones that didn't stick.














I do recommend trying this recipe. The bread kinda caramelizes a bit on the outside from all the sugar and it was really quite moist and flavorful.

L'Chaim!

No comments:

Post a Comment